As the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 reaches its pinnacle, the cricketing world is abuzz with excitement and anticipation. The clash between India and Australia promises a spectacular finale, but amidst the fervour, another race is capturing the attention of fans, which is the battle for the Player of the Tournament award.
ODI World Cup 2023: A stage for exceptional performances
It is worth mentioning that the 13th edition of the ODI World Cup has treated fans with many phenomenal moments and served as a stage for numerous outstanding performances, creating contenders who have etched their names in the annals of cricketing glory with sheer talent and hard work. On that note, here are the top seven contenders for the prestigious award based on their remarkable performances.
Top 7 contenders for the Player of the Tournament award in ODI World Cup 2023
1) Virat Kohli: One of the modern-day greats, Virat Kohli, has been in a league of his own in the World Cup 2023. With an exceptional 711 runs in 10 matches at an average of 101.57, including three centuries, Kohli stands as the leading run-scorer in the tournament. Breaking records and setting new benchmarks, Kohli has a golden opportunity to bolster his case further in the final.
2) Glenn Maxwell: A dynamic all-rounder, Glenn Maxwell has left an indelible mark in the World Cup with 398 runs in eight matches, featuring a century and a double hundred. Maxwell’s contributions are not limited to batting, as he has also picked up five crucial wickets, showcasing his versatility and impact on the game.
3) Mohammed Shami: The wizard with the ball, Mohammed Shami, has been the revelation of the tournament. With just six matches under his belt, Shami has scalped an astounding 23 wickets, leading the charts for the highest wicket-taker. His three five-wicket hauls, including a best of 7/57, have mesmerized cricket enthusiasts worldwide.
4) Adam Zampa: Another standout performer with the ball, Adam Zampa, has exhibited his spin prowess with 22 wickets in 10 matches. His best figures of 4/8 showcase his ability to dismantle opposition batting line-ups, making him a strong contender for the Player of the Tournament award.
Also READ: Meet the wives and girlfriends of South African cricketers
5) Quinton de Kock: The Proteas’ opening batsman, Quinton de Kock, has had a tournament to remember. With a staggering 594 runs at an average of 59.40, accompanied by four centuries, de Kock’s consistency and ability to anchor the innings make him a serious contender for the prestigious accolade.
6) Rachin Ravindra: Making his debut on the world stage, Rachin Ravindra has turned heads with his stylish and consistent performances. Scoring 578 runs at an impressive average of 64.22, Ravindra’s three centuries have showcased his potential as a future star. Additionally, his five wickets add an all-round dimension to his candidacy.
7) Daryl Mitchell: Another Kiwi who made waves in the tournament, Daryl Mitchell has been a force to be reckoned with. Amassing 552 runs at an exceptional average of 69.00, Mitchell’s two centuries have been instrumental in New Zealand’s campaign, making him a strong contender for the Player of the Tournament award.